big rigs photo gallery of
old international trucks
Many old school truckers are fond of old International
trucks. The first big truck I ever drove, was an International.
In the '60's and '70's, the International brand, captured a
large portion of the Class 8 highway truck market. They were known as a good,
reliable truck for a reasonable price.
However, International lost more and more popularity over
the years to the point that they would offer huge fleet sale deals to the big
trucking companies such as J.B. Hunt and Schneider National.
Those fleet sales became the backbone of their market share.
When J.B. Hunt decided to cut back on
it's fleet purchases from them, in favour of shipping by rail, then the company
was once again in trouble.
International Truck Trivia
- The Transtar II, was one of the most well-known cabovers
on the road, years ago.
- One of the first to offer a swivel driver's seat, spinning
backward to help the driver step into the bunk.
- Cab fit and finish have always been good... the interiors quite
pleasant and functional
- International having at one time built huge hoods on
models like their 4300 model, were one of the first to come out with a drop
nose configuration for fuel economy and maneuverability
- Recent attempts to re-establish a dominance in sales
presence have been dismal at best.
- International may have contributed to their own death by refusing to recognize the technology
needed to meet the latest emissions standards, sticking with SGR technology
alone until it was too late, just recently giving up on their own engine
technology in favour of going back to Cummins for engines to meet emissions
- Their current dealer network is virtually non-existent which
further reduces their odds of re-establishing a highway presence.
- Sadly, bad press and a high rate of mechanical failures may have
damaged their reputation beyond repair.
Picture Collection Internationals: Old Semi Trucks
|1959 International Harvester R190
|1974 Transtar Cabover
|1981 International Transtar II
|Old R Model Mack
Smart Trucking > Photo Galleries of Older Model Big Rigs