Celadon Canada is a large trucking company located in Kitchener, Ontario. They are essentially a Canadian branch of a huge American carrier, specializing primarily in dry and temperature controlled freight.
Although our focus here is on company truck driving jobs, they also hire owner operators and offer a lease program.
Their field of operation is well defined: Laredo, TX, Western Canada, and the Indianapolis area. They indicated they didn’t offer drivers dedicated runs.
They are essentially a full load carrier, 95% of their work being no touch, and the remaining 5% pin to pin work: the bulk of their work being drop and hook loads.
Our interview with Celadon revealed that company drivers can expect to run about 2500 miles per week, with about 1.5 to 2 days per week time off. This 1.5 to 2 days per week off would be the driver’s reset, not necessarily home time.
After the completion of 30,000 miles, the driver is granted a 7 day period of home time (Up to 5X/year). So, realistically, a company trucking job could demand long periods of being on the road, without home time. Trips are between one to two weeks.
What We Think Really Rocks at Celadon Canada
When we contacted the Celadon Canada trucking operation at their Kitchener office and spoke with their recruiter regarding their company driver jobs, the experience was positive.
We were left with a good feeling about this carrier. Out of the many Ontario based trucking companies we spoke with regarding company driving jobs, Celadon Canada was the most impressive overall.
- The recruiter was well informed and knowledgeable about the company, the pay package and the general operations of the company. She was thorough, polite and did not at any point, place the call on hold. They seemed to have a good positive attitude, which was not the case with the majority of our interviews, regarding company truck driving jobs.
- This trucking company has a good reputation within the trucking industry.
- They have good, well established traffic lanes.
- Although one of their lanes is the dreaded New York city lane, they claim they don’t demand any drivers take these runs. Going to New York city is strictly voluntary.
- They pay waiting time to company drivers.:) Awesome.
- We especially liked the fact that they control their reefer trailer units from the terminal, which relieves the driver from messing around with the reefer settings and pulping product.
What We Didn’t Like So Much About Celadon
- A driver ought to be prepared to be on the road potentially for long periods of time… not unusual for long haul carriers, however, in our books, hard on a trucker.
- Slip seating
There’s no perfect trucking company….. these aren’t major issues, but we mentioned them, to be complete in reviewing Celadon’s package for drivers.
Celadon Pay Package for Company Drivers
- Pay can be expected on a weekly basis.
- Their orientation/training program for new hires, runs for 4 days (Monday-Thursday), and compensation is $75/day, and 2 meals paid (not dinner)
- For an experienced driver, they indicated starting mileage rate of .40/mile, with the mileage rate determined by mileage software, practical miles.
- They pay waiting time/delinquency of $15/hr, after the first 2 hours, which is a pretty nice perk, considering we’ve noticed that many trucking companies simply do not compensate their company people for waiting time.
- Border crossings are paid at a rate of $15/occurrence
- Lay-overs: compensation is $50 after a 24 hour wait.
- No pay for on-the-road resets, nor are hotels stays for resets paid
- Safety bonus/pay: 4X/year, a bonus of .01/mile is paid if no accidents or incidents, up to a max payout of $1400/year.
- There’s no compensation for completing the mandatory pre-trip inspection.
- Drops and pick-ups are uncommon, but pay $30 for the first, $45 for the second, and increase by $15 for each subsequent stop.
- If a breakdown occurs, the company will cover hotel expenses and daily compensation is also paid to the driver.
- A decent health benefit package is available after 6 consecutive months of being on their payroll. The coverage seemed to be quite comprehensive and the expense is absorbed by Celadon Canada.
- They indicated no other deductions from the gross-pay, other than required CPP, EI and income tax.
Overall, Celadon Canada offers a pretty decent package….. at least one of the best options going in our opinion of the many dry freight trucking companies in Ontario Canada.